Good tools for the boiling-water technique
Canning is a fun activity to do in a group, with family, or among friends! However, you will need fresh ingredients, a good recipe, and the proper equipment. Here is a little list of things to have on hand before getting started:
- Glass jars: perform a thorough inspection to make sure there are no chips or nicks before starting.
- Rings and lids: the rings can be reused but the lids must be new.
- Canning jar lifter: essential for a secure hold.
- Non-metallic funnel: a funnel with a large base is very useful for transferring your food.
- Long metallic utensil: it will help you pop any air bubbles forming inside the jar once full.
- Magnetic lid wand: essential for removing the lids from the water without touching them.
- Large pot: choose a thick-bottomed pot that is large enough to support the jars.
- Canning rack: these racks keep jars in place to prevent them from hitting each other during sterilization.